Officials from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) visited the Old Colony Redevelopment – PHASE 1 on Monday, April 14, 2012.
HUD’s John Henderson, Hope 6 Grant Manager and Jessica Rosenberg, Hope 6 CSS Manager – both from the Office of Urban Revitalization in Washington D.C…joined Boston-based Ellen Bradley and Dwight Hebert, HUD Revitalization Specialists, Region 1 for an Annual Site Visit.
Other Community Partners included representatives from:
- The Boston Housing Authority (BHA)
- Beacon Communities
- Action for Boston Community Development (ABCD)
- Housing Opportunities Unlimited (HOU)
- Catholic Charities/Laboure Center
- With Every Heartbeat is Life (WEHL)
- South Boston Community Center
- University of Massachusetts/Boston – Center for Social Policy
- South Boston Boys and Girls Club
- Wellspring Consulting
- Members of the Old Colony Task Force
- Washington Beech Housing Development
- The South Boston Boys and Girls Club.
Phase 1 of the Old Colony Redevelopment was funded through a Hope 6 grant.
According to the BHA, under Hope 6, the plan for the physical transformation of the Old Colony is “matched by a comprehensive program of Community and Supportive Services”.
Financing for the new development totals 143-million-dollars: $37.5 million in Public Housing Funds with over $100-million in private and public funds.